Sunday, November 21, 2010

What is action research?

Action research is the process of a principal engaging in systematic, intentional study of their own administrative practice and taking action for change based on what they learn as a result of the inquiry. Taking action is the key to action research. Action research can be done on many different things. Many of my classmate in my masters course are researching reading and reading readiness. I plan to do my action research project on the effects and benefits of cooperative learning. As a classroom teacher, I use cooperative learning often. Sometimes I will see positive results and sometimes I will see negative results from cooperative grouping. I believe that the grouping process is very important to the effectiveness of the activity. I plan to group my students based on ability, language, and sex all similar and different. I will post my findings and conclusions at the end of each trial. In the end, I will use formative assessments and surveys to determine the effectiveness of the group. Of course, content will also be a factor. I will have to look at the success of the whole group and the percentages of it to determine effectiveness of the group based on the assessments.

Why is it important to educational leaders?
It is very effective for educational leaders to use these blogs. Educational leaders may not have the time or resources to complete the research. Chances are, the research has already been done by another professional. In the event that it has already been done, if the researcher has blogged about it, they have just provided many educational leaders with the information that they were needing.

No comments:

Post a Comment